Douglas Local Archive
Local News Stories
- Press release: Brownfield sites approved for environmental assessments
- Arizona Department of Health Services: ZIP code COVID-19 search tool
- Cochise College Student Photojournalism Projects
- Dispatch: Coronavirus testing blitz coming to Cochise County
- Dispatch: Douglas’ public facilities to remain closed as Ducey extends stay-at-home directive until May 15
- AZ Central: Driver caught smuggling 14 migrants hidden inside pickup truck near Douglas
- Arizona Public Media: Easing COVID-19 restrictions, Cochise County impact, workplace safety
- Arizona Public Media: Pandemic’s impact in Cochise County
- KGUN9: Douglas and the effects of social distancing due to COVID-19
- Dispatch: COVID-19 'aggregated data' to be released by Cochise County with 10th case; locations not to be included
- Dispatch: COVID-19 impacting local businesses
- Dispatch: DFD opens second station as COVID-19 effort increases
- AZ Public Media: Cochise County, more space may slow coronavirus spread, but presents a challenge for care
- Fox: Gov. Ducey announces electric utility relief agreement for Arizona residents
- Dispatch: Second COVID-19 case confirmed in Cochise County
- Arizona Public Media: In Cochise County, more space may slow coronavirus spread, but presents a challenge for care
- AZ Jewish Post: Bus tour will examine Douglas history
- Washington Post: Where Trump border wall rises, these ranchers see defeat
- AZ Central: 3 Arizona cities are among the worst U.S. cities to live, according to an online ranking. Here's why
- Untold Arizona: DouglaPrieta Co-op Empowers Women, Keeps Families Together
- Dispatch: Released documents show environmental concerns as wall construction begins
- Douglas Dispatch: City Sewage Connections begin in Bay Acres
- U.S. News: Suit over border patrol detention conditions goes to trial
- KJZZ: In Cochise County, residents with serious mental illness often end up in jail
- Press Release: Mining company begins polarization survey in Cochise County
- Dispatch: Stevenson Elementary given A grade by ADE
- Video: Border Patrol destroying endangered species habitat
- Police: Douglas residents advised to avoid "unnecessary" travel to Agua Prieta
- AZPM: Douglas is turning to tourism for an economic boost
- KVOA: Lockdown lifted at Douglas High School
- ABC: Two Earthquakes Registered near Douglas
- Douglas Will Enchant You with Tales of Its Mining and Ranching Past.
- KGUN9: Cochise County reports first coronavirus-related death
- National Park Service: Southeast Arizona National Parks Modify Operations to Implement Local Health Guidance
- Dispatch: Douglas gyms open; owners more than ready
- Arizona Daily Star: Border hysteria misrepresents, hurts border towns
- AZ Central: 'It's a bit complicated': Delayed COVID-19 test results make it difficult to understand the spread in Arizona
- Fronteras Desk: Q&AZ: Arizona Caregiver Tries To Navigate State Unemployment System
- AZ Central: Protesters in Mexico block lanes at Arizona border crossing to demand stricter coronavirus screenings
- Politico: Pentagon sends more troops to the border ahead of SCOTUS decision
- The Atlantic: The Hidden Crisis in Rural America
- ProPublica: A Group of Agents Rose Through the Ranks to Lead the Border Patrol. They’re Leaving It in Crisis.
- Phoenix Times: Arizona Quietly Sells 16,810 Acres to Freeport-McMoRan for Mining Waste
- AZ Central: Megafarms and deeper wells are draining the water beneath rural Arizona – quietly, irreversibly
- NPR: Jury acquits aid worker accused of helping border-crossing migrants in AZ
- ProPublica: Pharmaceutical Companies Luring Mexicans Across the Border
- Politico: Big Brother on the U.S. Border?
How do FactStacks work?
FactSacks are reports on a particular topic or topic. We investigate them for you in response to what you are discussing in the Douglas Local conversation on Facebook. We are as careful as possible in our research and transparent in our process. With FactStacks, we put our skills as journalists directly to work for your community. We always appreciate your thoughts, questions and suggestions in response to our reports.
- The Rivera Building Brownfield Site Grant
- Help! Is this true?
- What’s open in Douglas
- Student Project: Digital Media Spring 2020
- Tipping servers and take-out deliverers
- Small business resources during COVID-19
- Helpful programs in Douglas
- Supplies and Services in Douglas
- COVID-19 Related Closures in Cochise/Douglas
- Douglas Animal Shelter
- Homes demolitions
- Parking Reconfiguration on G Avenue
- City of Douglas Mayor and Council
- Port of Entry Expansion in Douglas-Agua Prieta
- How do people from Douglas identify?
WHY DO YOU CALL YOURSELF SPACESHIP MEDIA?
We chose the name Spaceship Media because we want to convey a sense of adventure and experimentation as we work to give people the information they need to live their lives and engage in discussions about issues that matter to them. As such, we welcome your thoughts and feedback about Douglas Local. You can always email us with your feedback: [email protected]
WHAT IS SPACESHIP MEDIA?
Spaceship Media is a journalism nonprofit that was launched after the presidential election in 2016 by two career journalists with a mission to build communities, reduce polarization and restore trust in journalism. We believe journalism has a central role to play in supporting the civil, civic dialogue on which a functioning democracy depends.
HOW TO DONATE?
If you are interested in supporting Douglas Local, you can donate on our website. We have a donation button at the top right of our website. Thank you so much for your support!!
IS DOUGLAS LOCAL LIKE THE DISPATCH?
Douglas Local is not affiliated with The Douglas Dispatch. However, on our website, we are gathering news and information from around town. This includes plenty of stories from The Douglas Dispatch which is the main provider for news and information about Douglas. Douglas Local is like The Dispatch in that it provides reporting, however our reporting is in direct response to the questions you have about your community! All the information we gather about Douglas is on our website and in our Facebook group. You can request specific information about Douglas on our website or on Facebook through the group. Please join us!
HOW IS DOUGLAS LOCAL FUNDED?
Douglas Local is funded in part by the generous support of the Democracy Fund.
WHAT ARE FACTBRIEFS?
FactBriefs are quick bits of information that we provide in real-time as you’re talking. Think of them as a way to fact check the information that is being shared and discussed in Douglas Local.
WHAT ARE FACTSTACKS?
FactStacks are the way we share reporting and information with you. We gather facts, we share them, letting you know how and where we found them and why we think they’re important. We always welcome your questions and feedback about our reporting.
WHAT IS DOUGLAS LOCAL?
Douglas Local is a place for the people of Douglas — or people who are interested in Douglas — to talk about the issues and topics that are important to them. We invite you into a respectful, thoughtful discussion! Douglas Local is not a place to yell and shout or name call or post memes. Douglas Local is also a website where you can find information and resources about Douglas.
WHAT’S OUR MISSION?
To build communities by creating spaces to discuss tough topics and provide journalism that is trusted.
Hi! We’re so glad your curiosity got the best of you. Before you fill out your request, do a search for you in our existing library through the button on the right. If your question asks a point not yet covered by Spaceship Media’s reporting, we will do one of the following:
• Create a new FactStack
• Add to an existing FactStack
• Let you know it’s out of the scope of questions we cover