By Spaceship Media
Alameda (/ˌæləˈmiːdə/AL-ə-MEE-də; Spanish: [ala’meða]) is a city in Alameda County, California, United States. It is located on Alameda Island and Bay Farm Island. It is adjacent to and south of Oakland and east of San Francisco across the San Francisco Bay. Bay Farm Island, a portion of which is also known as “Harbor Bay Isle”, is part of the mainland adjacent to the Oakland International Airport. The city’s estimated 2017 population was 79,928. Alameda is a charter city, rather than a general law city, which allows it to provide for any form of government. Alameda became a charter city and adopted a council–manager government in 1916.
Local News Stories
- East Bay Times: How you can help improve Alameda’s traffic safety- Interactive Map
- Alameda Sun: Matrix 4 Film Crew Sets Up in Alameda. Looking for Extras!
- Sacramento Bee: Homeowners in Castro Valley billed $20,000 to clean up former homeless encampment
- SF Chronicle: Oakland to Shutdown Huge Homeless Site at Home Depot
- Sacramento Bee: If you get a parking ticket in Alameda read the fine print, police warn